Monday, January 6, 2014

Seeds Have Arrived!

SEEDS HAVE ARRIVED!

I went down to the store with the kids a couple mornings back to check on the seeds I sowed recently.  When I arrived I found a box outside.  It had been in the below zero temperature all night long.  It was some of my recently ordered seeds from +Harris Seeds !  I was not concerned about the box being in freezing temperatures all night as long as the box was not wet.  I brought the box inside to begin my inspection.


Everything is dry, just extremely cold!  It's so exciting!  I want to sow them now and see them grow but it's too early.  Let's look through them and see what types of seeds I ordered from Harris.


The packet on the top is a sampler of Petunia seeds called Shock Wave Petunias.  I have never grown them before but my father had luck with them last season so I wanted to give it a shot.  If you have ever heard of or purchased regular Wave Petunias then you will have a good idea what the Shock Wave petunias are all about.  The flowers are petite and very similar to a Calibrachoa (more on those in a later post) flower but they have the same growing and spreading habit as a Wave Petunia.  If I recall there are 50 seeds each of 6 different colors in this sampler pack.


My 3 year old daughter Abigail was also very excited about my new seeds.  A future horticulturalist in the making?  Only time will tell.


One of the other new varieties I received was one of the Marigold Cresta series.  This is Marigold Cresta Spry.  Sorry for the shaky photo.  I ordered this one because for whatever reason the Marigold Boy Spry seed has been discontinued.  This happens in the world of plants and seeds.  There are trends like anywhere else and apparently the Boy series isn't as cool as it once was.  I imagine that within the next couple of seasons that the Cresta series will completely replace the Boy series.  Keeps me on my toes.


Finally this one is being hyped in all of the seed catalogs and it won a 2013 All-America Selections award so of course I had to try it.  This is Canna South Pacific Scarlet and what is unique about it is Cannas don't typically grow from seed but from underground stems known as rhizomes.  While this is a tropical plant and shouldn't be treated as a perennial in New York where I am from, apparently it is a bit hardier than your typical Canna.  I'll go more in depth with this one when I sow it.  From what I have read I will not be able to sow the seeds in my 406 cell tray because when they germinate they will push themselves out of the cell!  I'm thinking I'll sow them in the 50 cell trays I used recently for the Penstemon and Coreopsis.


Speaking of those, I don't see any germination yet.  It hasn't been long so we'll give it some more time.

Thanks for reading.  I'm looking forward to taking some Lamium cuttings next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment